Top 10 things to do in Melbourne
There are so many things to do in Melbourne that it is hard to know how to fit them all in. If you are there for a few days visiting friends and want to get out and experience the city fully, it can be hard to decide what the best bits are.
While other websites may tell you where to go in Melbourne, sometimes the “best things” to do are tourist traps and not worth the effort.
So to give you the best possible advice before you go, we asked our resident Aussie expert, Kathryn to forget about what it says in the guidebooks and to give us the benefit of her years of experience.
The top 10 things to do in Melbourne
Like with everywhere else in the world, the best things to do won’t suit everyone. In a place like Melbourne where the attractions are varied, don’t expect to satisfy the whole group. But you will be able to get a good feel and experience of the city by attempting to do some of these:
Experience Melbourne Culture
1. Hosier Lane
—creativity in the form of street art is in abundance here. This is actually one of my favourite places in all of Melbourne. Expect big crowds of tourists taking photos though, so it’s best to go in the early morning or in the evening.
2. Queen Victoria Market
—this market has been around since the late 1800s and is the heart and soul of the city. Here you can get all sorts of goodies for a picnic but the real fun is if you can chat to the local stall owners and do a bit of people watching for a while.
Explore Melbourne’s History
3. Royal Botanic Gardens—there is loads to see in this park so spend the guts of a day here—take a picnic. Constructed in 1846, the gardens contain over 38 hectares with 10,000 native and exotic species of vegetation. It’s a great educational experience and also features an exquisite children’s garden.
4. Melbourne Museum—this award winning museum provides the best educational experience for visitors to the city. The complete history and culture of Melbourne from the early 1800s is beautifully displayed with a great section called the Mind Exhibition which allows visitors to explore dreams and thoughts.
Take a trip outdoors
5. Great Ocean Road
—it may surprise you but one of the best things about Melbourne is the road out of it! Beautiful and scenic with many cool places to stop along the way such as the beautiful surfing beaches of Torquay.
6. St. Kilda beach—catch the sun going down here. With its gorgeous sandy beaches and city views, it is the best place to enjoy a famous Aussie Barbie.
Realise your sports dreams
—the Melbourne Cricket Grounds is the number one destination in Melbourne for sports fans. Billed as Australia’s favourite sports ground, the National Sports Museum is also here and is packed to the brim full of displays and sports-related memorabilia.
8. The Melbourne Cup
—is taking place in November this year in the world famous Flemington Racecourse where Irish horses and trainers have been winning for the past few years. Book this event in advance as tickets sell out quick! For more sports events in Melbourne, read our previous blog
Take a walk on the wild side
9. Take a day trip outside Melbourne and spot Penguins on Philip Island
! As amazing as it sounds, this is your chance to see penguins in their native habitat. There are also many things to do on Philip Island including a visit to a chocolate factory. Chocolate and penguins—penguin bars anyone?!
10. Skydive at the Melbourne Skydive Centre. Come on, you can’t go all the way to Oz without a bit of adventure sports. And what could be better than jumping out of a plane eh?
Holidays to Melbourne – talk to our experts today!
For more tips on what to do in Melbourne, talk to our Oz expert Kathryn or one of our Australia Travel experts on 01 8047188 to book your holiday to Melbourne!