GUIDE TO LEAVING CERT HOLIDAY DESTINATIONS
By Sheila Hendrick
There’s one thing guaranteed to destroy the back to school blues – and that’s booking the ultimate post-Leaving Cert holiday.
Yep, you’ve a stressful year of studying and Leaving Cert exams ahead, but the thought of two fun weeks in the sun afterwards is what’ll get you through.
The only questions are; Where and when should you go?
We’ve been booking these since it students took the Inter Cert exams, so here’s our advice.
WHERE TO GO: TOP 5 LEAVING CERT HOLIDAY DESTINATIONs
Destinations vary in popularity each year, but not by much.
Last year, the most popular was Majorca (also known as Mallorca). From the bookings we’ve got so far for summer, Majorca is still a favourite, but there’s also interest in Ibiza and Greece islands.
TOP SPOTS IN BALEARIC ISLANDS, SPAIN
1. Santa Ponsa in Majorca has always been popular with the Irish. The nightlife is kicking, and visitors also rave about the fine sandy beach and safe swimming.
2. Magaluf in Majorca is a favourite for clubbers. It’s known as the “party capital of the world” and many claim the clubs are better than Ibiza. Acts who have played Magaluf in the past few years include Fatboy Slim, David Guetta, Lily Allen, Judge Jules, Calvin Harris and David Morales. The hot new hotel/club set to open at the end of April 2015 is BH hotel. Book now so you can say you were there for the opening party.
3. San Antonio is the legendary party town of Ibiza. It is home to two of the biggest super clubs in the Balearic Islands: Gatecrasher Ibiza and Es Paradis. Beyond generally recovering from the night before, you can spend the days parasailing, cycling or scuba-diving. Or just keep going on one of the infamous Boat Parties.
4. Hersonissos in Crete is another hotspot for exam students, especially as Greece tends to be cheaper than Spain. Hersonissos is a busy resort with a great beach, water park, and quite good food from the restaurants and tavernas. The nightlife caters for every music taste, and you’ll rarely have to pay into a nightclub.
5. Kavos in Corfu is another top party destination in Greece. The main strip offers dozens of bars and a great choice of cafes and restaurants. There is also a water park and nice swimming as the sea is warm and shallow around there.
WHEN TO GO
July: After exams
Going on holiday straight after the exams is one way to get you through a tough few weeks. The post-exam crowd usually head off on the first week of July or the last week in June.
Mid-August: Results Time
Some students prefer to be out of the country and on a beach when the results come out around the second week in August. It’s certainly the place to celebrate!
September: After results
Get your results, get college place sorted, then hop on that plane without anything more to do than enjoy yourself. Head off the first week in September and you’ll be back for Fresher’s Week with a fresh tan.
WHEN AND HOW TO BOOK
Book as soon as possible, as Leaving Cert holidays book up really fast. Once a few friends pick the resort and hotel they want, the rest of their friends follow suit so entire apartment blocks can be gone in hours.
Booking a package is a no-brainer. It’s cheaper than going independently, and all your transfers to and from airport are taken care of. You also have a rep on hand to sort out any issues.
Book with us and you don’t have to pay for the whole holiday upfront; a €100 deposit will secure the booking until spring.
Or give Joanna or Lisa a call on 01 804 7100 and they can chat through your options. Of course you can also call into one of our branches and we can sort out the hotel and flights in a few minutes. Or why not check out our website for great offers.